Fees for Probate
All Probate matters are unique and an individual quote will be given to you based on the complexities and size of the estate and the administration thereof. We will handle the full process for you.
The following fixed fee example is for estates where:
- There is a valid Will;
There is no more than one property;
- There are no more than six bank or building society accounts;
- There are no other intangible assets;
- There are 2-4 beneficiaries;There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs;
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC;
- There are no claims made against the estate.
Subject to further factors that may apply, we anticipate that our fees for administering the estate to include: obtaining the information required to apply for a Grant of Probate; applying for the Grant; and, collecting and distributing the assets would be £2,100 to £4,410 plus VAT based on an hourly rate of the hourly rates of our probate team which range from £230 plus Vat for a partner to £120 plus vat for a Paralegal.
The precise fees will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
VAT and disbursements may be payable in addition to our fees.
Disbursements may include (but this list is not exhaustive):
- Probate court fee of £273 plus £1.50 for each office copy (needed for each asset)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary if in UK).
- Trustee Act notices in The London Gazette and a local newspaper (to protect the executors/administrators against unexpected claims from unknown creditors) – approximately £200 plus VAT but depends on the local newspapers’ charges.
- Land Registry charges for obtaining official copies of title deeds £3, and plan £3 per property.
- Estate Search – searching for unknown assets and debts £185 plus VAT.
- Bank Account Checker this helps to verify the bank account of beneficiaries in the Will- £3.75 plus VAT
- Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. VAT is payable on our fees and on some disbursements but not on others.
We will be happy to give you a personalised quote.